Effective date: May 17, 2016
We adhere to the following principles to protect your privacy:
- All information that you provide will be protected with industry standard protocols and technology.
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US
ChromaUp offers the Services, a platform used by its users, including students, alumni, participating colleges and universities, community organizations and participating companies. We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account, create or edit your profile, create or edit portfolios, fill out a form, participate in a contest or promotion, request customer support, send us an email, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, username, password school information, and other contact or identifying information you choose to provide, as well as photographs, video, comments and other information you include in any timeline or other materials you create through the Services.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY WHEN YOU USE THE SERVICES
When you access or use the Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: When you use our Services, our servers automatically record certain log file information, including, but not limited to, your web request, internet protocol (“IP”) address, internet service provider (“ISP”), browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Services, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We may also collect similar information from emails sent to our users which then help us track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access the Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Metadata: Metadata is usually technical data that is associated with user content. For example, Metadata can describe how, when and by whom a piece of user content was collected and how that content is formatted. You can add or may have Metadata added to your user content including a hashtag (e.g., to mark keywords when you post a photo), geotag (e.g., to mark your location to a photo), comments or other data. This makes your user content more searchable by others and more interactive. If you geotag your photo, video or other media or tag them using other’s APIs then, your latitude and longitude will be stored with the photo, video or other media and searchable if such media is made public by you in accordance with your privacy settings.
We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the site, to track users’ movements around the Services, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We do not link this automaticallycollected data to personal information.
We and our partners, educational establishments, affiliates, or analytics service providers use technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags, and scripts, to analyze trends, administer the website, track users’ movements around the Services, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual and aggregated basis.
INFORMATION RELATED TO DATA COLLECTED THROUGH THE CHROMA SERVICES
As stated above, if you are a student, ChromaUp may collect some personal information about you under the direction of your college or university, prior to any direct relationship established with you through signing up for our Services. ChromaUp works with colleges and universities to help them provide notice to their students concerning the purpose for which personal information is collected.
Access: ChromaUp may not have a direct relationship with the individuals whose personal data it processes. If you seek to correct, amend, or delete inaccurate data in connection with the Services, you may do so through the settings in your user profile. If you seek to correct, amend or delete data about you that has been provided to us by your school, middle school, high school, secondary school, college, or university, you should direct your request to your school, middle school, high school, secondary school, college, or university. If your school, middle school, high school, secondary school, college, or university requests ChromaUp to correct, amend or delete some or all of the data they have provided to us, we will respond to their request within a reasonable timeframe.
Data Retention: ChromaUp will retain personal information we process on behalf of participating schools, middle schools, high schools, secondary schools, colleges, universities, and companies for as long as needed to provide services to them. We will retain and use this personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
USE OF INFORMATION
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Services;
- Provide and deliver the products and services you request, process transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and invoices;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards, and events offered by ChromaUp and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Process and deliver contest entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
ChromaUp is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by United States law. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in the United States and to other countries.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation, including, but not limited to, civil and criminal subpoenas, court orders, or other compulsory disclosures;
- To enforce our user agreements or policies;
- To respond to claims of a violation of the rights of third parties, whether or not the third party is a ChromaUp user, individual, or government agency;
- To respond to customer service inquiries;
- To protect the rights, property and safety of ChromaUp, our users, or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company; and
- Your portfolios or other information with (a) various schools, middle schools, high schools, secondary schools, colleges, universities, (b) community organizations and other entities that help students; provided that such entities and organizations will only be provided information on an aggregated or anonymized basis, or (c) companies so long as we notify you that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may also share your personal information and other information you provide to another third party as a part of a sale of the assets of ChromaUp, or as the result of a change in control of the company. If ChromaUp is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
You understand that when you use the Services, your profile and other information you post and actions you take through the Services, including, but not limited to, your profile, your timeline, direct messages, posts on public forums, emails, nudges, push notifications, and chat services, may be shared with other users and may be viewable on publicly available areas of the Services, depending on the applicable privacy settings. For more information about how privacy settings work, please see “Your Choices” below.
Our Services are designed, among other things, to help you share information with colleges & universities and put your best digital foot forward. When you share information or content like photos, videos, and information via the Services, you should think carefully about what you are making public.
When you use the Services, the Services may request that you provide your city and state of residence. Please keep in mind that other users of the Services, participating colleges and universities, community organizations and participating companies, may be able to view your city and state of residence in connection with the Services, if it is made publicly available. We may also use your location information in an aggregated way, as described above.
SOCIAL NETWORKING INTEGRATIONS
You may also have the option of posting your Services activities to Social Networking Services when you access content through the Services (for example, you may post to Facebook that you performed an activity on the Services). You acknowledge that if you choose to use this feature, your friends, followers and subscribers on any Social Networking Services may be able to view such activity.
In order to help secure your personal information, access to your data on ChromaUp is password protected, and sensitive data is protected by reasonable security when it is exchanged between your web browser and the ChromaUp website. To protect any data you store on our servers, ChromaUp also regularly audits our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we use a tierone securedaccess data center. It is your responsibility to protect the security of your login information. Please note that emails, push notifications, instant messaging, and similar means of communication are generally not encrypted, and we strongly advise you not to communicate any confidential information through these means. We do share your information with participating colleges & universities so they may discover and engage with you, so be cognizant to show yourself in the best possible manner. We cannot control the actions of other users with whom you share your information. We cannot guarantee that only authorized persons will view your information. We are not responsible for third party circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures on ChromaUp. You can reduce these risks by using common sense security practices such as choosing a strong password, using different passwords for different services, and using uptodate antivirus and malware software.
You should also report any security violation to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail at Chroma Education, Inc., 3031 Tisch Way #408, San Jose, CA 95128.
You should also report any inappropriate content on ChromaUp to us by clicking “Report User” on ChromaUp’s platform.
ChromaUp does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for the Services. The Services and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
In the event of the death of a ChromaUp user, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will usually conduct our communication via email. Should we require any other information, we will contact you at the email address you have provided in your request.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
You may elect to restrict access to certain information, such as who can view your profile, by contacting us at email@example.com or by accessing your privacy settings. It is important to note that regardless of the privacy settings you select for your own profile, information that you post and actions that you take on or in connection with other users’ profiles or in other areas of the Services may be viewable by other users and may be publicly available, depending on the applicable privacy settings for that application feature, e.g., messaging which could use a third party application.
You may update, correct or delete information about you at any time by logging into your online account, or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to delete your account, please email us at email@example.com, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a reasonable period of time.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from ChromaUp by following the instructions in those emails or by emailing ChromaUp at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you opt out, we may still send you nonpromotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.